Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Happy 30th Birthday, Belize Style

Two years ago I decided I wanted to do something big for my 30th birthday. Maybe rent a house in the Cinque Terra for my closest friends to hang out. I've also always wanted to move abroad. And finally, I've always wanted to celebrate my 30th birthday in a way that I wouldn't forget (this is probably more important because for the life of us, we can't remember what we did for Kevin's 30th birthday - If you celebrated it with us, please let us know what we did).

Fast forward to my actual 30th birthday and I'm living abroad and I will definitely not forget what we did. First off, it rained like none other the night before my birthday. I've never experienced a hurricane but I can't imagine how much worse they can be. We decided despite the previous night of rain, we were going to head to Hopkins to hang out on the beach. Quite a ways into the trip, the lovely guard at the police checkpoint told us the bridge was washed out and we would not be able to make it to Hopkins or Dangriga or, for that matter, too much further on the highway. We decided to continue on since the Hummingbird Highway is so beautiful and like nothing any of us had seen before.

When we could go no further, we turned around to go to Spanish Lookout for the best soft serve ice cream that I have ever had. It did not disappoint.

Hunger pains won over and after a few more miles to San Ignacio, we were comfortably sitting in Hannah's for some of the best food that I have had in a long time.


(Oh, did we tell you? We joined the cast of Lost)










No comments: